Chicken with Herbs
Poutet Saltte altx Herbes de Provence - Vegan Chicken with Herbs
Today we are using Gardein meatless chicken patties to create Julia’s’ Chicken with Herbs for dinner.
After experimenting we found the closest thing to what we are trying to perfect are the Gardein patties, they are truly a marvel, even down to the texture.
|From top left to right: Vegg egg substitute, garlic, vegan butter, thyme, basil, white wine, vegan chicken patties, lemon, herbs de provonce.|
|Use any white wine you prefer, but the dryer the better in this case.|
For a side with this chicken dish, Julia recommends broiled tomatoes and potatoes sautéed in butter. We wanted to make it a bit healthier so we will serve with broiled tomatoes (specifics here) and kale sautéed with shallots and 1tbsp of olive oil.
|From left: Chopped kale, shallot, small sugar tomatoes, yellow and red|
Served with a side of kale cooked with shallots and broiled tomatoes (recipe here).
5) In a small saucepan, whisk together vegg yolks, lemon juice, and 1 tbs of the white wine. (This will create a hollandaise-like sauce) Because we are using vegan eggs (*) this process is easier since you don’t have to worry about the eggs scrambling. However it doesn’t thicken like we anticipated so here is a quick amendment:
6) Mix1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 tsp. water and mix together into slurry, then pour into the vegg mixture and whisk quickly to thicken up the sauce. (If necessary, add more slurry to thicken as you go)
7) By now the herb and garlic mixture is done cooking. Remove the chicken and using a fork crush the garlic cloves releasing the flavor of the garlic into the butter. Pour in the white wine to degaze the pan and increase the heat slightly until the wine reduces down to about ½ of what you originally put into it.
8) After it reduces, strain out the herbs and combine the butter into the yolk (do this twice so you don’t burn the egg mixture – just ½ at a time.) Then add in the rest of the fresh herbs to the sauce and mix. Adjust the seasoning with a little salt and pepper. This should taste delicious. A strong savory, lemony buttery blend.
9) In the same pan you cooked the chicken and butter, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the shallots to sauté the kale.
10) Plate and serve.
To plate, place kale on bottom, 1/2 peice of chicken, then some tomatoes and finally other half of chicken and more sauce.
This tasted incredible. The sauce tastes like a well-balanced herb hollandaise and the chicken has a hearty, savory flavor. The combination of taking a bite with the crunchy kale, saucy chicken, and soft sweet tomatoes truly explodes in your mouth.
****** Again we survived our unorchestrated chaos, but we find that with each dish, each challenge becomes a small victory. **********